Sunday, September 4, 2011

My last year--after 40 years of being a teacher

August 2011---The year started on a bittersweet note for me. For the last 40 years I have always called my mother after the first day of school. She passed away in June and while I miss her daily some events are more affected. Not many people still buy first day of school outfits after the age of....what? ....unless they are teachers. I have always sent my school photos to my mom...after all who else would want one now? So school started without Mom to talk to so it was a little more poignant. I have good classes: 3 trig/ pre calc and 2 regular Geometry---I gave up my SDAIE Geometry this year so I could help another teacher transition and then she didn't get it...oh well.
As always we are expected to come in early to set up our rooms before school starts and I refuse to do that on principle---if we aren't paid we shouldn't be there. I do drop off xeroxing so I'm ready but then it's a long afternoon after a 3 hour back to school "informational" staff meeting. One of the advantages of having taught for so long is that I am prepared...things will get unpacked and sorted eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment